• A complete and justifiable mixture Chemical Safety Assessment (mixture CSA) process to calculate the SUMI(s) based on the mixture label, composition and uses / activities;
• One GSM SUMI Format, focused on the understandable safe use information of the mixture;
• One GSM SUMI SPECIFICATION Format, providing the background information of the mixture CSA process.
The strengths of the GSM:
• The GSM SUMI Format is very understandable.
• The GSM SUMI Format is aligned to sector specific use maps (old and new style) but can also be used without such sector specific use map.
• The GSM provides a complete, single solution for all formulators:
o Formulators with end-use applications covered by a sector specific use map, can calculate if the sector-specific SUMI(s) are safe to be used;
o Formulators with end-use applications or making ‘mixtures in mixtures’, can generate a mixture-specific SUMI if the sector-specific SUMI is not available or applicable.
The opportunities of the GSM:
• It is automatable in commercial SDS tools;
• Since it is based on a complete and justifiable mixture CSA by the formulator, processing of the individual substance component exposure scenarios is no longer needed. This can make REACH more practical and reliable
• The GSM SUMI output is meeting the Workplace Safety Card criteria of OSH and can be used accordingly. This can make REACH and OSH working closer together.